11.14.2010

Chicken Soup for the Soul

Sundays are my favorite days to cook dinner - I usually have the entire day to shop, prep, cook and devour. I love soup; eating and cooking. I have had a chicken carcass in my freezer for about a month and it was time to get put to use before being replaced by that of a turkey.  And on this day of rainy weather and lack of a good football game I embarked upon my first attempt at homemade chicken soup.

Danielle's Chicken and Rice Soup
This involves a chicken carcass (or turkey) - put carcass in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 4 hours, or until all meat has come off of the bones. Strain the liquid and sort through parts to get as much meat as possible. Discard all bones, cartilage, skin, etc. 

Put chicken and liquid back into pot and bring back to a boil and add the following:
1 cup chopped onion
2 cups chopped celery (leaves included)
2 cups chopped carrots
1/3 cup chopped Italian parsley
1 large clove of garlic
1 cup chopped potatoes
1 Tablespoon salt
1/2 Tablespoon freshly ground pepper
1 Bay leaf

Let simmer for at least an hour. Add 1 cup rice (I used wild) and let simmer another 30 minutes. Add 1 cup frozen peas and let heat through.

*my chicken was cooked with lots of thyme and rosemary, which flavors came through when boiling down carcass.

Really time for a new camera :-(


Serve and enjoy!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment